TPO carriage, 1908
Accession number: 2007-0064 (not currently available on the online catalogue)
This carriage has recently been restored. It was used for the 'day up' and 'night down' route between Euston and Holyhead until at least 1940.
Its original number was LNWR 20 (its fleet number). Later it also had the numbers 9520 and then 3227 and then finally M 30244 M.
It was built at Wolverton and still has its original underframe and 4-wheeled bogies. It has been restored to its original colours of carmine lake and flake white.
This carriage features a bag exchange apparatus mechanism. During its working life, this enabled the exchange mail pouches at trackside apparatus stations whilst on the move.







